The Arcade Project

The Arcade Project is a project written by the German critic Walter Benjamin between 1927 and 1940. It is a collection of writings on the city life in Paris in the 19th century.

The magic columns of these palaces
Show to the amateur on all sides,
In the objects their porticos display,
That industry is the rival of the arts.
-Nouveaux Tableaux de Paris (paris, 1828), vol. 1, p. 27



Modern Accomodation in Paris

Today, many mansion blocks have gone under renovation and now serve as apartments, studios or boutique hotels.

Saint Germain Mansion

Saint Germain Mansion

Depending on the location, age, size and features to the apartment, housing rental ranges from €500 to €3200.

Boulevard Saint Germain has become a more prestigious residential area, and many students have diverted to other areas for housing.


Hôtel Particulier

Mansion Blocks around Paris have transformed into boutique hotels. Rates for these rooms range from €100 to €1000.


Cours du Commerce Saint André

One of the passages of Paris after Haussman, connecting Rue Saint-André des Arts and Boulevard Saint Germain.

Cours Commerce de Saint-André

DSC_1324-web-1024x639Along this passage is also the remainders of the walls of Philippe Auguste. These walls were built to protect the capital and was later replaced by boulevards that Haussman built. Remainders of these walls are now also integrated into other buildings.


Walls of Philippe Auguste on Porte St Germain


Parisian Housing of the 19th Century

A Parisian apartment was found untouched for 70 years in the 9th arrondissement, housing furniture and paintings of the 19th century.



Watson, Leon. “Inside the Paris Apartment Untouched for 70 Years: Treasure Trove Finally Revealed after Owner Locked up and Fled at Outbreak of WWII.” Mail Online. May 13, 2013. Accessed December 6, 2014.

Saint Germain des Pres Abbey Church

The Saint Germain des Pres Abbey Church, which gave Boulevard Saint Germain its name, is the oldest church in Paris. It was built in the 6th century. Vikings destroyed this structure during the the 9th century; the reconstruction of it started in 1000, and then dedicated in 1163. The church’s roof was once glazed with gold paint, earning the name Saint-Germain-le-Doré.

Today, the church’s appearance stands due to renovation of the 19th century—restored by the architect Victor Baltard and painter Jean-Hippolyte Flandrin.