The Saint Germain des Pres Abbey Church, which gave Boulevard Saint Germain its name, is the oldest church in Paris. It was built in the 6th century. Vikings destroyed this structure during the the 9th century; the reconstruction of it started in 1000, and then dedicated in 1163. The church’s roof was once glazed with gold paint, earning the name Saint-Germain-le-Doré.
Today, the church’s appearance stands due to renovation of the 19th century—restored by the architect Victor Baltard and painter Jean-Hippolyte Flandrin.